Monday, October 27, 2008

Learning to Crochet

I am a member of the Coventry Knit Wits group and they are a very friendly, cheerful and helpful group of knitters, crocheters, quilters etc. Most weeks someone is sharing something they have learned which makes the meetings fun and interesting.


Two weeks ago Julie showed me how to make a proper slip knot and how do do a chain using a crochet hook properly with the right things in the correct hand. She also taught me long tailed cast on which I have used for my second scarf attempt - more below about that.


Last week Jane took me in hand and taught me all the basics from my foundation row up to reading a chart. She was very patient with me but I'm not sure how much sunk in, watch this space for my first attempts LOL.


Meanwhile, I have cast on my Little Leaf lace scarf again:





This time I am using a semi-solid from the Yarnyard. It is one of the early skeins so it doesn't have a name. I hope the close up shows the way the not-quite-solid colour gives a rippling effect to the lace without overwhelming it.



The yarn is Bonny, a sock wool/nylon mix in 4 ply. There are 460 yards so I should get a reasonably long scarf from it.



2 comments:

Linz Knits Now said...

I love the new scarf, the colour is perfect!

Now then, I've heard crochet darkside but it's you know ;) lol

Julie Spriddle said...

I think you made the right decision in changing the yarn for the Little Leaf scarf. The other yarn was pretty, but too 'busy' for the pattern and was hiding all your lovely stitches. :)

And no problem with the showing you how to make a chain, I'm looking forward to seeing your first crochet project. :D