Friday, November 5, 2010

Ouch!!! Mastication Misery.

I have a small mouth. My nearest and dearest may not believe it, but its true. What it lacks in size, it makes up for in speed LOL. My dentist has to use children's tools to work on my teeth. My anaesthetist said my jaw only opens a bit, not the full amount it should. I have had several fractures on my left side and the joint simply doesn't work properly.

So it seems inevitable that, during my operation, the anaesthetist dislocated my jaw when he was trying to get the tube down. It was put quickly back in place and that should have been the end of it.....expect it wasn't that simple.

It still hurts to chew. The pain has been getting worse and worse. I went to my dentist who said my teeth are fine, its a jaw thing. So I went to my doctor who recommended painkillers and a return trip to the dentist as jaws are dental things..........so

I returned to my wonderful dentist who is a darling and very patient and gentle and isn't bothered when I panic or cry because of my dental phobia. She knew exactly what to do. She pats my hand and gives me a tissue and stops until I am ready to continue. She said I have Strained my Muscles of Mastication......which made me giggle a bit cos it sounds naughty : )

The upshot of all this is that I cannot eat anything even slightly chewy for 6 weeks - starting yesterday. Minimum talking (DH and DS are so happy) and take anti-inflammatory tablets. If it doesn't work, then she will refer me to a Consultant.

Good job chocolate melts, isn't it!!!

1 comment:

LisaG said...

And if all else fails there is chocolate ice cream, hot chocolate, chocolate milkshake, chocolate spread, chocolate instant whip.....